Hi all! Yellow curry is one of my favorite go-tos when I want something warm and savory. I always have Madras yellow curry on hand in my pantry just in case the craving strikes. Traditionally, the Vietnamese version is made with sweet potato, a whole chicken cut into pieces, onions, and lots of lemon grass. My version will be much simpler, carb-friendly, and I bet most of these items you already have in your pantry if you cook Asian food even occasionally. Let’s start!
Recipe yields 4 servings
- 1 cup of diced onion
- 1/4 cup of Madras yellow curry powder
- 1 can of unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon of sliced ginger
- 1 can of chicken broth
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of avocado oil (coconut oil works too)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 small chicken thighs sliced 1/3 inch thick
Optional low-carb additions to the stew:
- sliced mushrooms
- eggplant cubes
- baby spinach
- baby corn
- bell pepper strips
- broccoli florets
- In a medium pot on medium high heat, add oil and fry the onions.
- Once fragrant, add in garlic, ginger, curry powder, and chicken thighs. Stir well and add in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer on low for 20 minutes before serving.
- You can serve this soup as is or over heated shirataki (0 carb) noodles. Enjoy!