Black bean tortilla soup is so simple and satisfying!
You can make lots of it and it freezes well and it makes great leftovers for lunch. My toppings for black bean soup tends to vary depending on my mood. Most of the time I opt for warm tortilla and sliced avocado. This time, I poached an egg and added this to the soup at the last minute and garnished with cilantro and lime. Wow! so good!
Recipe yields 2 servings
- 2 strips of raw bacon cut into small pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 cups of cooked black beans
- 2 cups of chicken broth or vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- 2 corn tortillas
- In a medium pot, over medium high heat, cook the bacon until fat is rendered.
- Add in onions, carrots, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper and tomatoes and cook until vegetables are softened.
- Add in the black beans and broth and bring to a boil and then lower heat and cook covered for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Wrap corn tortillas in foil and add to oven for 5 minutes. Remove tortillas and cut them in strips and divide between 2 servings.
- Allow soup to cool slightly. At this point you can serve as is or pulverize the soup using a hand blender. Divide soup between 2 bowls.
- Top with avocado/poached egg/or even a little sour cream.