There’s a Thai restaurant called Pandan that we like to visit located West of Fort Worth specifically in a very small subdivision called Crowley. The restaurant itself is located in a gourmet desert because the only businesses surrounding it are gas stations, donut shops, vapor shops, and fast food chains. So Praise The Lord that there’s a Thai restaurant! It’s also located next to a Chicken Express but I’ll never consider fried chicken fast food no matter what you tell me. Anyway, Pandan makes a cheese dip made with whipped cream cheese, Thai chili sauce and they serve it with crispy shrimp chips. Shrimp chips are made from tapioca and have a super airy crispy texture. Together, they taste like Asian nachos but a little sweet, savory, and spicy. Last weekend, we reproduced the appetizer and thought it was pretty close!
To serve 2
- 4 oz. whole fat cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sweet Thai chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups of vegetable/canola/peanut oil
- 1/2 cup of dried shrimp chips
- In a mixer, whip the cream cheese until fluffy and add chili sauce.
- Add garlic powder
- In a small frying pot, heat oil up to medium heat. Allow oil to heat up to 350 degrees 5.
- Fry shrimp chips. They should take only a few seconds to cook. They’re ready when they expand.
- Drain chips on paper towel and move to plate and serve with dip.