I’m on a mission to find the best white cake ever. For the next month or so I’ll be experimenting with different ingredients until I find one that I absolutely love. This version of the white cake was made into cupcakes using a combination of a couple egg whites, whole milk, cake flour, and shortening. The cake is super delicate and is pretty good if you like a denser white cake. Flavor wise, it was spot on!
Yields 9-12 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven at 350˚ and line cupcake pan with up to 12 cupcake liners.
- Using your mixer with the paddle, mix shortening and sugar until light and fluffy on medium speed. Add egg whites, one at a time. Add vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt and add to creamed mixture alternately with the milk.
- Bake cupcakes for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- 1 cup of frozen strawberries thawed with liquid
- 1/3 cup of powdered sugar
Mix strawberries and powdered sugar and top each cupcake with about 1 tablespoon of the icing. Chill cupcakes overnight and serve.