I wanted to make a lemon berry cupcake that was tart and refreshing and not overly sweet. I played around with a classic yellow cake recipe I liked and added blueberries and lemon zest to the batter. Then, separately I cooked 2 cups of blueberries in a sauce pot with sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch and let the mixture look somewhat like pie filling which gave the cupcakes a super tart center. Topped it off with lemon zest crème chantilly (fancy name for whipped cream icing). YUM.
The cupcakes. Yields 16-24 cupcakes
- 2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 t baking powder
- 1 t salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup of blueberries
- zest of 1 lemon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease pans or line cupcake liners.
Sift dry ingredients together. Mix shortening, sugar, and lemon zest at medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time then add the vanilla extract. Gradually add milk and dry ingredients alternating each in 3 parts. Fold in fresh blueberries. Bake 15-17 minutes until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- 1.5 cups of fresh blueberries or frozen
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of granulated sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon of cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon of water
- Large boba tea straws
- Bring blueberries, water, and sugar together in a saucepan on medium heat. When blueberries pop, add the cornstarch mixture and lemon juice. Cool completely.
- To fill the cupcakes, insert one end of the boba tea straw in the center of the cupcakes. The center of the cupcakes should come out when you remove the straw. Repeat for all cupcakes then fill each one with blueberry filling.
- 2 cups of very cold heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 or 2 drops of lemon oil or extract
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of gelatin dissolved in 1 table spoon of warm water
- blue food coloring (optional)
- Using an electric mixer with wire whisk, whisk the heavy cream on medium speed.
- When the creme starts to thicken, add the gelatin, vanilla, lemon oil, and food coloring if you like.
- Add powdered sugar a little at a time. The cream is ready if it makes soft peaks. Pipe on cupcakes and garnish with more fresh blueberries.