This sweet and savory soup comes to you from my family’s dinner table. The word “canh” in Vietnamese means soup and “chua” means sour. As the title implies, the soup is quite sour from the tamarind base. My mom would add fresh shrimp, catfish fillets, bean sprouts, pineapple, and chopped lemongrass. I made a simpler version with shrimp, pineapple, and tamarind. The soup is awesome with jasmine steamed rice and perfect for a cold day. The following recipe makes 2 servings.
- 2 roma tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup of pineapple chunks
- 1 15 oz can of chicken broth
- 1/2 pound of shrimp peeled and de-veined
- 2 tablespoons tamarind soup base mix
- 1 stalk of lemon grass, cut into 3 pieces
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- vegetable or coconut oil
- chopped green onions and cilantro for garnish
- In a medium pot, heat a tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Sautee garlic and lemongrass stalks.
- Add soup base, chicken broth, pineapple, tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Strain the lemon grass stalks and add shrimp. Cook for 3 minutes and add green onions and cilantro.
- Serve over rice or rice noodles if desired. Enjoy!