I need an intervention. I can’t find the limit for my pumpkin culinary excursions. Maybe they’ll never end… bwahahaha. This happens to me every Thanksgiving. I overstock on pumpkin and spices so I can find all the ways to make different things with them. I came across a really neat idea for pumpkin butter which used pumpkin puree and cocoa powder to create this creamy super chocolatey pumpkin spread which I think is already good on its own but would also be tasty on waffles and crepes.
I like that it’s gluten free and is a great snack if you want something chocolatey and pumpkin-y at the same time. So tasty!
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 4 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup, to taste
1. Combine pumpkin, apple juice, spices, and sugar in a large pot and stir well. Cover with lid and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Sift in cocoa powder and stir well. Simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring often, until thick & buttery. Be careful as the mixture bubbles and pops!
2. Remove from heat. Stir in maple syrup to taste. Chill before serving.