I was feeling under the weather yesterday. I didn’t even get to make it to marathon I signed up for called Run4Justice,a 5K run to raise awareness of human sex trafficking in Cambodia. Organized by 121 Community Church (Grapevine, TX) and International Justice Mission, the fundraiser raised $170,000 to sponsor missionaries to rescue these young people from abuse. That is so much more than the expected turn out. God is good, he gives so much more than we ever ask for. Even though I didn’t get to go, I’m so happy the run was a success! To find out more about this annual event and how you can help set up your own fundraiser, go to http://www.run4justice.com/about/
Thanks to this awesome soup, I was feeling better in no time.
Recipe yield 6-8 servings
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 carrot, sliced 1/4 in (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/4 cup of dried Chinese mushrooms strips
- 1 cup fresh shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 8 oz. canned sliced bamboo shoots, drained
- 4 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 to 4 oz firm tofu (about a quarter of a block), rinsed and drained, then cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallion greens
- 2 tablespoons fresh whole cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Soak dried mushrooms in 3 cups boiling-hot water (water should cover mushrooms), turning over black mushrooms occasionally, until softened, about 30 minutes. In a small bowl, stir cornstarch with 1/4 cup water and set aside.
- Cover bamboo shoots with cold water by 2 inches in a small saucepan, then bring just to a boil (to remove bitterness) and drain in a sieve.
- Stir together vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, and salt in another small bowl.
- Add peanut oil to a small stock pot, heat on medium high heat. Add red pepper flakes and cook for 1 a minute. Add dried mushrooms, shitake mushrooms, ginger, carrots, and bamboo shoots and stir-fry 1 minute.
- Add broth and bring to a boil, then add tofu. Return to a boil and add vinegar mixture. Stir cornstarch mixture, then add to broth and return to a boil, stirring. (Liquid will thicken.) Reduce heat to moderate and simmer 1 minute.
- Beat eggs with a fork and add a few drops of sesame oil. Add eggs to soup in a thin stream, stirring slowly in one direction with a spoon. Stir in white pepper, then drizzle in remaining sesame oil and divide among 6 to 8 bowls. Sprinkle with scallions and cilantro before serving.