You know what’s better than quick yummy recipes? Quick side dishes made from scratch. When I’m in a hurry and i’ve got 3 papers to write and a business to run, I need the good stuff quick. The worst thing to do is to prepare a beautiful protein dish and have some boring sides with the help of the can opener or the defrost button from the microwave oven. Sometimes, there are no substitutes and you’re better off spending an extra 15 minutes to preparing a side that you know is wholesome and artificial crap free. Butter for instance should never be substituted for anything less.
Potatoes are the ideal vegetable for great side dishes because they’re inexpensive and you can prepare them in a million or more ways. A bag of potatoes can last in the pantry or refrigerator for 2-4 weeks. One of my favorite things to do is to toss them in kosher salt and garlic, herbs, and fry them in olive oil or roast them. Today I tossed cubed russet potatoes in parmesan cheese, garlic, parsley, and olive oil and had them with eggs for breakfast. They turn out crispy and golden and lots of flavor. You can serve these at any meal. Enjoy!
This recipe yields 4 servings
- 4 small russet potatoes peeled and cubed into 3/4 inch cubes
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- In a large bowl, add the cubed potatoes, parsley, garlic, salt, parmesan cheese, and toss.
- Pour half of the olive oil in the mixture until coated evenly.
- In a large nonstick pan, add olive oil and keep on medium high heat. When pan is hot, add the potatoes and spread evenly on pan. Once potatoes have browned on one side, stir and flip over to brown evenly.
- Potatoes are ready when golden and soft.